Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fast Tracking Energy!

Reiki CD Attunements??? Dr. Usui would roll in his grave. What’s next, learning magick by playing Simon Says? Perhaps we should teach people to become doctors that way. Why bother going to medical school? We could extend this to those looking to study law. They could simply play CDs in their sleep and learn subliminally.

We live in a world that has gone to hell and is trying desperately to redeem itself with smoke and mirrors. Every day I find something that irks me. Perhaps I need to make a habit of writing more frequently. I certainly have enough opinions on issues. But lately, time has slipped away as I’ve been busy revamping a site that has lain dormant for a few years. I’ll write about that progress later, but for today, I just need to climb up here for a few moments … grab my megaphone … and yell to anyone who may want to listen.

I just received an email, forwarded from a well-meaning client, regarding a topic that is very near and dear to my heart: energy healing. More specifically this email was talking about the benefits of Reiki in Alzheimer’s patients. It cited a study published in a peer-reviewed medical journal and of course, the findings were favourable. No surprise there. Reiki has been shown to benefit people with a variety of problems or issues: AIDS, cancer, surgical patients, women in labour, fibromyalgia, emotional problems, psychological issues … the list continues.

I continued reading the synopsis of the report, and found myself nodding at what I already knew. I thought how nice it was that Reiki was being studied and reported in more mainstream publications. I, for one, certainly feel it’s about time. I made a mental note to report on findings more frequently, and let others know about the many benefits of Reiki and energy healing.

However, the last paragraph stopped me cold. I had to reread it a few times for it to register. It ended with a link and after clicking it, I became so angry I felt I had to write something, anything … but being silent was not an option.

The last line stated that “If you haven’t had one or all of your attunements yet, you can get them quickly and easily by following this link: …’

The link opened to a page where you could order a la carte your choice of books, as well as CDs that will attune you to any level you wish. I wanted to scream. I think I did, as the dogs stopped for a moment and stared at me.

Reiki is much more than what people think. The bond between teacher and student endures far beyond the initial classes. An attunement involves the transfer of energy from teacher to student. As a result, a teacher, in any tradition, takes responsibility for the student.

We all have choices. It is not my place to tell anyone what to do. However I must object to any site condoning a lazy attitude to discipline. For those serious about a path with Reiki, I urge you to run from places like that. There is so much more to Reiki. Remember … you get what you pay for. If you want a BMW, you buy a BMW. You don’t buy a Neon and expect a BMW.

I have to question what responsibility a CD has? I cannot understand the dedication of someone who would put together something like this. I would seriously question their motive. What kind of mentoring do they have in place? A good teacher always makes themselves accessible to their students. You don’t just cast a few symbols out … clap your hands and send people on their merry way.

In my tradition, online attunements are still not accepted by many. And I understand the reason. It has taken me a long time to make the decision to teach Reiki online. But times are changing, and there is a need for qualified and accurate information to be taught. After seeing this site, I am convinced, more than ever, that my decision was correct.

If you are looking to learn Reiki, then find out all you can about the person you are considering as a teacher. Feel how their energy resonates with yours. If something doesn’t feel right, then listen to that voice of reason and walk away.

No comments: